Contemporary Forms of Alternative Theatre 2
Name of lecturer(s)
Jiří ADÁMEK, Lukáš JIŘIČKA
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Introduction to assorted currents and directions of contemporary alternative, or puppet theatre.
- To cultivate the receptivity of students to contemporary progressive arts, even if they are not part of their personal taste and focus.
Mode of study
Theory-history presentation and subsequent group review of video-recordings of theatre performances and projects. Debates with external professionals at a given type of theatre or other related arts field.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
- Completion of the Modern Theatre and its Twin I-IV courses.
- Attendance at theatre performances, important Czech and international festivals.
Contemporary progressive theatre is presented in the context of the development of related arts but also in the context of philosophy and society.
Therefore an analysis of theatre tendencies precede the introduction of basic concepts and thought postulates, from the post-modern to post-dramatic or anthropological theatre.
The effort to capture the real current movements in theatre means rather an attempt to capture individual elements and events than to try to find firm given definitions and overall surveys.
- Post-dramatic theatre.
- The Post-modern.
- Anthropological theatre.
- Devising theatre.
- Documentary theatre.
- Performance and conceptualism.
- Site specific.
- New Circus.
- Dance theatre.
Recommended or required reading
Adámek, Jiří: Théâtre musical, NAMU, Praha 2011
Cihlář, Ondřej: Nový cirkus, Pražská scéna, Praha 2006
Lehmann, Hans-Thies: Postdramatické divadlo, Divadelný ústav, Bratislava 2007
Lyotard, Jean-François: O postmodernismu, Filosofický ústav, Praha 1993
Pilátová, Jana: Hnízdo Grotowského; na prahu divadelní antropologie, Divadlení ústav, Praha 2009
Václavová, Denisa, Žižka, Tomáš: Site Specific, Pražská scéna, Praha 2008
Assessment methods and criteria
Credit is awarded based on successful completion of the exam before the commission comprised of study-year instructors at the end of each semester.
Instruction schedule see: www DAMU / katedra ALD / Rozvrhy hodin
Schedule for winter semester 2018/2019:
(Karlova 26, Praha 1)
Schedule for summer semester 2018/2019:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Acting for Alternative and Puppet Theatre (B.A.) (required subject)
- Directing and Dramaturgy for Alternative and Puppet Theatre (B.A.) (required subject)
- Stage Design for Alternative and Puppet Theatre (B.A.) (required subject)