Directing and Dramaturgy 5
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Training for directing and dramaturgy with an emphasis on individual student talent.
- Cultivation of student artistic potential in the context of contemporary alternative or puppet theatre currents and tendencies.
- Preparation of students for collaborating with students from other studies (set-design, acting) and implementation of independent exercises and summary performances.
Mode of study
Exercises, analysis and review of exercises, group discussions and analyses with student groups (usually one study-year of Alternative and Puppet Theatre Dept directing and dramaturgy students), individual consultations.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
- General knowledge of the trade literature.
- Attendance at theatre performances, important Czech festivals and those abroad.
- Development of creative activities beyond school exercises and performances.
- Adequate participation in the Production course (implementation of independent exercises and summary productions).
The study is based on the concurrent interweaving of theory and practice elements of instruction. Emphasis is placed on an original, creative approach to the study. From alertness of basic concepts such as drama situations and acting in them, plot, motive, topic, situation composition and the time-space handling (mise-en-scena) arising from them to the specific creative signature of the student.
Particulars of individual semesters:
- from thoughts on theatre to theatre thinking, drama situations and their alternatives,
- composition in time and space,
- metaphor, narrative and its alternatives,
- theme and the creation process from the first stimulus to actors' rehearsing,
- synthesis of all production elements,
- comprehensive approach to an original theatre piece.
Recommended or required reading
Brook, Peter: Prázdný prostor, Panorama, Praha 1988
Lehmann, Hans-Thies: Postdramatické divadlo, Divadelný ústav, Bratislava 2007
Vostrý, Jaroslav: Režie je umění, NAMU, Praha 2009
Scherhaufer, Peter: Čítanka z dejín divadelnej réžie I-III, Divadelný ústav, Bratislava, 1998-1999
Donellan, Declan: Herec a jeho cíl, Brkola, Praha 2007
Artaud, Antonin: Divadlo a jeho dvojenec, Herrmann a synové, Praha 1994
Assessment methods and criteria
Credit is awarded based on:
- class activity,
- completion of class exercises,
- verbal or written review of results in the related production course.
This course is only for closed study-year groups. Each study program is a course of instruction determined by the study year advisors.
Instruction schedule see: www DAMU / katedra ALD / Rozvrhy hodin
Schedule for winter semester 2018/2019:
Učebna R501 (DAMU)
(Karlova 26, Praha 1)
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
|Thu||14:15–16:30||Jiří ADÁMEK||Učebna R501 (DAMU)
Karlova 26, Praha 1
Schedule for summer semester 2018/2019:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Directing and Dramaturgy for Alternative and Puppet Theatre (B.A.) (required main subject)