Ex Oriente Film and East Doc Forum 2021
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Cílem modulu je prohloubit znalosti studentů o vzdělávacích programech, trzích a koprodukčních fórech zaměřených na dokumentární film.
Mode of study
Prerequisites and co-requisites
POVINNÁ REGISTRACE: do 5. března 2021 u Nora Särak, firstname.lastname@example.org +420 777 159 408 a současně na https://dokweb.net/user/dokwebregistration - pro získání bezplatné industry akreditace vložte kód: FilmStudent2021
Ex Oriente Film is an international training programme for documentary professionals supporting the development and funding of creative documentary films from Central and Eastern Europe. The core of the Ex Oriente Film workshop is based on three week-long residential workshops held over 9 months. Each year we select up to 12 projects that receive assistance from a wide range of film experts, with each workshop focusing on a different segment of development. Our participants are given a tailored guidance in developing the subject, narrative and the visual style of their projects, making drafts of a financing and distribution strategy, and finding international partners.
Saturday, March 6
10:00 am - 11:00 am (CET)
Lecture by Mikael Opstrup: What Am I Presenting.
Within the documentary genre, there are sub-genres. But there are also different genres of pitch trailers. What trailer genre am I able to make? And what film does my trailer present? What do I do, if I don’t have the material that is needed in order to make a pitch trailer that I feel represents my film project? These are some of the questions Mikael Opstrup will address in this opening talk that will kick start a week where there will be a lot of focus on the fact that you will pitch your project in about a weeks’ time from today.
Monday, March 8
10:00 am - 11:30 am (CET)
Case Study by Ruth Reid: 10 Lessons Learned while Producing a Series for HBO.
In conversation, Producer Ruth Reid and Commissioning Editor Hanka Kastelicova offer ten honest lessons learned while producing the new true-crime documentary series, PRAY OBEY KILL, 6x 45’ for HBO Nordic & HBO Europe, Premiering Spring 2021. Followed by Q&A.
Tuesday, March 9
1:00 pm - 2:30 pm (CET)
Masterclass by Alexander Nanau: Collective (2019)
Masterclass dedicated to the Academy shortlisted feature documentary Collective (RO, 2019) by German-Romanian film director and producer Alexander Nanau. Followed by Q&A.
In his latest award-winning documentary director Alexander Nanau follows a team of investigators at the Romanian newspaper Gazeta Sporturilor as they try to uncover a health-care fraud that led to the deaths of innocent citizens. Collective is an uncompromising insight into the fatal dangers of a corrupt political system and the vast impact of investigative journalism can have on it.
Tuesday, March 9
3:30 pm - 5:00 pm (CET)
Lecture by Fraser Bensted: Story Selling - creating audio visual marketing materials that engage an audience
The theoretical and creative process of producing audio visual marketing materials; examining the impact they have on the positioning of a film and its reception by the chosen target audience. With a focus on documentary trailers but also looking at drama we will see how a film can be shaped into various marketing materials in order for it to be presented in a way that creates maximum engagement with an audience. Covering sales promos, mood reels or taster tapes, and teaser and regular trailers, this will be an in-depth examination of the thoughts and considerations being made when the time comes for a film to be pitched or sold to potential financiers, buyers or the general public.
Wednesday, March 10
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm (CET)
Lecture by Arash T. Riahi: Beating the Big Problems with Small Solutions
Producer´s Lecture by Austrian producer and director Arash T. Riahi of Golden Girls Film on the struggles and issues that he has experienced as a producer and co-producer of documentary and fiction films and how to fix them.
As a co-producer, Arash T. Riahi is behind recent festival hits such as The Bubble (2020), Once Upon a Time in Venezuela (2019), Solo (2019), School of Seduction (2019), Born in Evin (2019), Little Germans (2018) or The Good Death (2018). In his talk Arash T. Riahi will talk about the conditions for development of documentary film, but also about the cooperation between European documentary filmmakers and producers in an extensive lecture with examples from his films. The lecture is followed by a discussion
Wednesday, March 10
3:00 pm - 4:30 pm (CET)
Masterclass by Anja Salomonowitz: Hybrid Films
New forms of narrative in documentary film are discussed, examined and questioned within the films of Anja Salomonowitz.
Well-known Austrian director Anja Salomonowitz will talk about contemporary creative documentary film and its hybrid forms. Where are the boundaries between documentary and fiction? What are the new forms and possibilities of documentary film and new forms of narration? In her films It Happened Just Before (2005), The 727 Days Without Karamo (2013) or This Movie is a Gift (2019), Anja Salomonowitz regularly pushes the boundaries of different genres and searches for a creative approach to reality. Her films thus often balance on the edge of documentary and feature film. The masterclass explores, questions and discusses new forms of narration in documentary film on the examples of Anja’s award-winning works. The lecture is followed by a discussion.
Thursday, March 11
11:00 am - 12:30 pm (CET)
Lecture by Che Lin: XR worldwide—thoughts on content and curations
Che Lin, curator of the Beijing International Film Festival VR screening programme, will present thoughts and ideas on the emerging XR market and approaches towards curation of the content,that has quickly found its way in the programmes of many A-list film festivals.
Thursday, March 11
1:30 pm - 3:00 pm (CET)
Lecture by Anna Mauersberger: Social Impact Strategies Case Study: The Shape of Us
XR creator Anna Mauersberger will introduce her virtual reality project The Shape of Us, which was created together with Niki Smit (In My Absence), and in her talk will focus on the social impact that could be achieved through virtual reality.
Friday, March 12
10:00 am – 11:30 am (CET)
Acquisition, promotion & distribution in CEE: Case study by Maëlle Guenegues, CAT&Docs, France
In her lecture, senior sales agent Maëlle Guenegues will share with us two different examples of successful CAT&Docs acquisitions of documentaries produced in the Central and Eastern European territory: The Earth Is Blue as an Orange (UA, 2019), Communion (PL, 2016).
Recommended or required reading
Assessment methods and criteria
účast minimálně na 3 přednáškách a odevzdání 2NS reflexe, co vás na přednáškách zaujalo a co jste se dozvěděli nového
modulová výuka KDT
Přednášející/Lecturer: Anna Kaslová + Mikael Opstrup, Ruth Reid, Alexandr Nanau, Fraser Bensted, Arash T. Riahi, Anja Salomonowitz, Che Lin, Maëlle Guenegues (garantuje Lukáš Kokeš)
Termíny a místo konání/Date and time: 6-17. 3. 2021, online přes ZOOM – časy dle harmonogramu
Podmínky atestace/Assignement: zá/2 – účast minimálně na 3 přednáškách + odevzdání reflexe 2NS
Volitelný pro /Optional for: FAMU / AMU
Jazyk výuky/Language of teaching: anglicky
Course may be repeated
Schedule for winter semester 2020/2021:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
Schedule for summer semester 2020/2021:
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Scriptwriting and Dramaturgy - Bachelor-1920-1year (optional subject)
- Scriptwriting and Dramaturgy - Bachelor_2020 (optional subject)
- Scriptwriting and Dramaturgy - Master-1920_1y (optional subject)
- Scriptwriting and Dramaturgy - Master-1920_2y (optional subject)
- Film Directing_Bachelor-1920-1year (optional subject)
- Film Directing - Master-1920_1y (optional subject)
- Film Directing - Master-1920_2y (optional subject)
- Documentary Film - Bachelor - 1920 - 1year (required optional subject, optional subject)
- Documentary Film - Bachelor_2020 (required optional subject, optional subject)
- Documentary Film - Master - 1920_1y (required optional subject, optional subject)
- Documentary Film - Master - 1920_2y (required optional subject, optional subject)
- Cinematography - Bachelor - 1920 - 1year (optional subject)
- Cinematography - Master-1920_1y (optional subject)
- Cinematography - Master-1920_2y (optional subject)
- Produkce - Bakalářské studium (optional subject)
- Production - Master (optional subject)
- Editing - Bachelor-1920-1year (optional subject)
- Editing - Master-1920_1y (optional subject)
- Editing - Master-1920_2y (optional subject)
- Photography CZ - Bachelor - 1920-1year (optional subject)
- Photography CZ - Bachelor - 1920-2year (optional subject)
- Photography CZ - Bachelor - 1920-3year (optional subject)
- Photography CZ - Master - 1920_1y (optional subject)
- Photography CZ - Master - 1920_2y (optional subject)
- Sound Design - Bachelor-1920-1year (optional subject)
- Sound Design - Bachelor_2020 (optional subject)
- Sound Design - Master-1920_1y (optional subject)
- Sound Design - Master-1920_2y (optional subject)
- Animation - Bachelor - 1920-1y (optional subject)
- Animation - Bachelor_2020 (optional subject)
- Animation - Master - 1920_1y (optional subject)
- Animation - Master - 1920_2y (optional subject)
- Game Design - Master (optional subject)
- Audiovisual Studies - Bachelor - 1920 - 1y (optional subject)
- Audiovisual Studies - Bachelor_2020 (optional subject)
- Audiovisual Studies - Master - 1920_1y (optional subject)
- Audiovisual Studies - Master - 1920_2y (optional subject)