Ex Oriente Film Workshop
Name of lecturer(s)
Anna Kaslová, Alice RŮŽIČKOVÁ
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The aim of the module is to expand student knowledge about education programs, markets and co-production forums focused on documentary film.
Mode of study
Prerequisites and co-requisites
The Institute of Documentary Film (IDF) celebrates 20 years, during which it has provided both emerging and experienced filmmakers with training, financing, networking and pitching opportunities, helping them get international attention and co-productions, rewarding exceptional projects with awards and further opportunities, and improving their knowledge of the international market.
Celebrate with us online at dokweb.net, by checking out what we have been working on these past 20 years. You can watch True Story video interviews, listen to podcasts with documentary filmmakers about their new films and their take on current trends, read interviews with directors and producers who have taken part in our activities, watch masterclasses and panel discussions and much more. Come meet us at our KineDok screenings, at almost exclusively non-traditional venues, and of course, we look forward to seeing many of you at the Ji.hlava International Documentary Festival, where we bring together two of our biggest activities: our Ex Oriente Film workshop and East Silver Market.
Twelve director-producer teams and as many tutors will come to Jihlava for this year’s 2nd session of the Ex Oriente Film workshop: Production and Story Development (October 25-30). The open programme will offer a series of lectures, case studies, and masterclasses dedicated to various aspects of documentary filmmaking, production, and distribution. Among the tutors joining this session are editor Phil Jandaly, who will talk about his work on Dmitry Bogolyubov’s film Town of Glory, producer KriStine Ann Skaret, director Agnieszka Zwiefka, who will talk about finding a unique and organic style for your film, producer Julianna Ugrin, festival programmer Rada Šešić, film curator Cintia Gil, and attorney-at-law Stefan Rüll. The workshop’s lead tutors are producer and consultant Mikael Opstrup, consultant and producer Iikka Vehkalahti, director and producer Filip Remunda, and director and script developer Ivana Pauerová Miloševičová. Many inspirational lectures and masterclasses within the Ex Oriente Film programme are open to all festival pass holders.
East Silver Market Video Library - Vysočina Regional Gallery (Komenského 10)
East Silver is the first documentary market which supports producers and distributors from Central and Eastern Europe. Each year, about 300 films from a dozen of countries are included in the market.
OCT 26-30, 10 AM – 9:30 PM; OCT 31, 10 AM – 12 PM
Monday, October 25
4:30 PM — 6 PM Dukla Cinema, SCREENING Town of Glory (2019, Russia, Czech Republic, Germany, 83’), directed by Dmitry Bogolyubov
Nothing interesting happens in the small town of Yelnya on Russia’s western edge. The locals are leaving en masse and those who stay have few joys in life. One is the victory over fascism. At the start of the war, Stalin allowed the town to be symbolically freed – at the cost of enormous loss of life – so as to inspire hope in his people and strengthen the spirit of heroism. Dmitry Bogolyubov’s personally tinged film tracks two local patriots and their families for three years. Teen-age Masha, who attends nationalist meetings, singing the praises of long-dead fallen heroes and ageing Sergei, who digs up their bones and secretly dreams that things will change. Through them the film shows how the unhealed wartime trauma infiltrates generations, forming the social life of ordinary Russians and, with the help of political propaganda, gradually changes into hate towards the current “fascist” West.
6 PM – 7:30 PM Dukla Cinema, MASTERCLASS Narrative through Character. Masterclass by Phil Jandaly supported by Filip Remunda
Phil Jandaly will discuss the editing process of Town of Glory with producer Filip Remunda. How does one build stories when there is no obvious narrative? They will look at digging out hidden dimensions in characters that on the surface don't seem to have any, and the many stages of the editing process that you need to go through to get you there.
Tuesday, October 26 10 AM – 11:30 AM Hotel Gustav Mahler, LECTURE for Producers by Julianna Ugrin
Hungarian producer Julianna Ugrin will discuss two documentary projects she has been recently working on: The Missing Tale (dir. Klára Trencsényi, working title Wardens of Memory) and Holy Dilemma (dir. Marton Vizkelety and Julianna Ugrin, working title Our Father).
Thursday, October 28
10 AM – 11:30 AM Hotel Gustav Mahler, LECTURE Good Encounters. Lecture by Cintia Gil
Drawing the life of a film means looking for good companionships, and film festivals can be spaces where films not only meet their audience and critical context, but also future avenues for themselves and for their makers. This is a complex, sometimes confusing environment that needs to be approached with a critical spirit and a strong sense of priority. On the other hand, film programming is a specific way of thinking about the films and determining relations, contexts, and validation. In this session, we will consider both sides of this question, and look for possible ways of enabling fruitful encounters based on respect, mutual interest and generosity.
5 PM – 6:30 PM Hotel Gustav Mahler, LECTURE Real fiction. The Fingerprint. Crossing the Boundaries in Documentary Storytelling, lecture by Agnieszka Zwiefka
How to find a unique and organic style for your film? We will dive into the backstage of creating a film and look at different ways of discovering the nature of the story and how it should be told. Based on her personal experience of working with very different storytelling styles, Agnieszka Zwiefka will look at different ways of combining fiction scenes with a documentary core, using clips from her films. When and how the precise ideas for the style of our films come out? Does it happen at the beginning, or does it come from the challenges the author faces in the filmmaking process?
Recommended or required reading
more at více na https://dokweb.net/aktivity/ex-oriente-film/2021/workshop-2; https://bit.ly/exo-session-2-program-tutors; IDF INDUSTRY SESSIONS a TRUE STORY PODCAST
Assessment methods and criteria
90% attendance and participation in the workshop
Intended primarily for Documentary, and Production Dept. students.
Course may be repeated
Schedule for winter semester 2021/2022:
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
Schedule for summer semester 2021/2022:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Scriptwriting and Dramaturgy - Bachelor-1920-1year (optional subject)
- Scriptwriting and Dramaturgy - Bachelor_2020 (optional subject)
- Scriptwriting and Dramaturgy - Master-1920_1y (optional subject)
- Scriptwriting and Dramaturgy - Master_2021 (optional subject)
- Film Directing_Bachelor-1920-1year (optional subject)
- Film Directing_Bachelor-1920-2year (optional subject)
- Film Directing_Bachelor_2021 (optional subject)
- Film Directing - Master-1920_1y (optional subject)
- Film Directing - Master (optional subject)
- Documentary Film - Bachelor - 1920 - 1year (required optional subject, optional subject)
- Documentary Film - Bachelor_2020 (required optional subject, optional subject)
- Documentary Film - Master - 1920_1y (required optional subject, optional subject)
- Documentary Film - Master_2022 (optional subject)
- Cinematography - Bachelor - 1920 - 1year (optional subject)
- Cinematography Bachelor_2021 (optional subject)
- Cinematography - Master-1920_1y (optional subject)
- Cinematography - Master_2021 (optional subject)
- Produkce - Bakalářské studium (optional subject)
- Production - Master (optional subject)
- Editing - Bachelor-1920-1year (optional subject)
- Editing - Bachelor_2021 (optional subject)
- Editing - Master-1920_1y (optional subject)
- Editing - Master_2021 (optional subject)
- Photography CZ - bachelor_2022 (optional subject)
- Photography CZ - Bachelor - 1920-1year (optional subject)
- Photography CZ - Master - 1920_1y (optional subject)
- Photography CZ - Master_2021 (optional subject)
- Sound Design - Bachelor-1920-1year (optional subject)
- Sound Design - Bachelor_2020 (optional subject)
- Sound Design - Master-1920_1y (optional subject)
- Animation - Bachelor - 1920-1y (optional subject)
- Animation - Bachelor_2020 (optional subject)
- Animation - Master - 1920_1y (optional subject)
- Animation - Master_2021 (optional subject)
- Game Design - Master (optional subject)
- Audiovisual Studies - Bachelor - 1920 - 1y (optional subject)
- Audiovisual Studies - Bachelor_2020 (optional subject)
- Audiovisual Studies - Master - 1920_1y (optional subject)
- Audiovisual Studies - master_2021 (optional subject)
- Research and Theory of Audiovision (optional subject)