Business Relationships in the Film Distribution 1
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The lectures aim is to provide student with knowledge enabling indpendent negotiations of licensing and distribution contracts and a good bearing in those.
Mode of study
Study and analysis of assigned texts, moderated and non-moderated discussions, lectures, presentation of instructor experience.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Successfull completion of „Audiovisual Distribution I and II.“
The producer and commercial licensing rights as a part of film finance. Business negotiations and legal aspects of concluding license and distribution contracts. Bearing in international terminology which is used in negotiating and concluding contracts.
- Licensing rights - one of the key activities of the producer
- Basic legal foundations
- Business negotiations and creating business agreements
- Basic concepts used in internation film business
- Example IFTA contracts and other types of contractual agreements
- Structure of distribution contracts
- Basic definition of the content of distribution contracts.
- Production finance and its distribution - pre-sales
- Business requirements of distribution contracts.
- Particulars of distribution contracts with domestic distributors
- Sample distribution contracts in the Czech Republic
- General contract conditions between the distributor and cinema operator.
- Sample contracts between the distributor and Czech Republic cinema operators.
Recommended or required reading
Ivo Telec - Autorský zákon - komentář C.H. Beck 1997
Filip Bobiňski - Financování a distribuce filmu - diplomová práce
IFTA Multiple Right Deal Memo - dodáno pedagogem při přednášce
IFTA Definition and Standard Terms - dodáno pedagogem při přednášce
General business conditions - given by the instructor at the lecture
Sample licensing, distribution agreements -given by the instructor at the lecture
Sample contract between the distributor and cinema operator - given by the instructor at the lecture.
Assessment methods and criteria
A demonstration of a good bearing in the study by completing the final oral exam
This course is an elective for all AMU students
Schedule for winter semester 2018/2019:
Room No. 329
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
|Tue||18:10–19:45||Aleš DANIELIS||Room No. 329
Schedule for summer semester 2018/2019:
The schedule has not yet been prepared