Subject is not scheduled Not scheduled
|307DINF||Z||3||12S||English, Czech||winter and summer|
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The aim of the course is to offer an experience with alternative possibilities of collaboration on students’ own art projects and to introduce the basic issue of inclusion in the field of visual art production and presentation.
Mode of study
Education will be offered in the form of consultations of students’ own art projects and will be developed in the form of particular workshops.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
The course doesn’t requires any special prerequisites.
The course will be conceived as a discussion platform and a series of workshops, and should especially develop alternative possibilities for collaboration on the students’ own projects. One of the key issues to discuss is inclusion – not only as part of art education, but also as a framework for collaboration on an audio–visual artwork. The aim of the semestral meetings is to foster an environment which would allow understanding the individual indispositions as opportunities for developing new communication methods. These indispositions may allow for different cultural experiences which in turn determine possibilities of mutual understanding.
- The initial course of collective script writing aims to introduce the students’ individual interests within a collective setting through a series of exercises. This should lead to a more detailed conception of topics and a better definition of the course for future meetings.
- The course will explore the practical possibilities of integrating persons who, due to their individual indispositions, are not considered part of an art scene.
- What are the potential features of the audio-visual work when its (co)creator can’t hear or see? Exploring the possibilities of compensatory tools for visually impaired or deaf people will require finding specific possibilities of communication afforded by contemporary technologies.
- A video-workshop will focus on the possibilities of using a camera without sight control of a shot object.
- A sound workshop will explore synthesizers suitable for using by visually impaired musicians. The qualities of sound composition will be developed with respect to preferences of the invited deaf participants.
- The final part will focus on composition of an audiovisual work from footage that arose during preceding exercises.
Recommended or required reading
HEDVA Johana – KOMANICKÁ Daniela – LAZARD Carolyn – PATSAVAS Alyson, Iné telá.txt, Praha: Display, 2018
FULKA Josef, Když ruce mluví. Gesto a znakový jazyk v dějinách západního myšlení, Praha: Filozofická fakulta Univerzity Karlovy, 2017
LANE Harlan, Pod maskou benevolence. Zneschopňování neslyšící komunity, Praha: Karolinum, 2013
NIELSEN Kim E., The Radical Lives od Helen Keller, New York: New York University Press, 2004
KLEEGE Georgina, Blind Rage. Letters to Helen Keller, Washington D.C.: Gallaudet University Press, 2006
Assessment methods and criteria
The criteria for the successful passing rest on active participation at the meetings. As a result, students will present their audiovisual projects.
Alžběta Bačíková (born 1988) works as a visual artist and curator. Her PhD. research concentrated on the reflection of documentary tendencies in moving image in contemporary art. She applies her theoretical interest in her own practice which is strongly connected to the medium of video. She graduated from the Studio of Painting at the Faculty of Fine Arts in Brno in 2014. Between 2013 – 2014, she co-curated Gallery 209 and currently she is curator of the etc. gallery in Prague. In 2018, she was nominated for the Jindřich Chalupecký Award for young Czech artists.
No schedule has been prepared for this course
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Photography CZ - Bachelor - 1920-1year (required optional subject)
- Photography CZ - Bachelor - 1920-2year (required optional subject)
- Photography CZ - Bachelor - 1920-3year (required optional subject)
- Photography CZ - Master - 1819 (required optional subject)
- Photography CZ - Master - 1920_1y (required optional subject)
- Photography CZ - Master - 1920_2y (required optional subject)
- Photography EN - Bachelor-1920 (required optional subject)
- Photography EN - Master-1920 (required optional subject)