Image narration and current stylization terms 3
Jméno vyučujícího (jména vyučujících)
Výsledky učení dané vzdělávací složky
Introduction of theory and practice methods of cinematic work analysis focusing on its image component from aesthetic and technology perspectives on examples of significant films from various periods representing various orginal forms, styles and processes.
Předpoklady a další požadavky
Short introduction to film screenings presenting original works and styles of individual cinematographers.
Seminars on contemporary stylization trends for image-based photography will focus primarily on capturing the individual trends by demonstrating the links between contemporary directors and their cameramen.
The individual seminars will consist of four basic parts:
- interpretation of individual trends, analysis thereof and placement within the narrative.
- samples which should stimulate deep thinking on the issue and support the preceding explanation.
- analysis of specific cameramen (including their filmographies), their approaches to the trends concerned and comparison of their work methods.
- analysis by students themselves and their views of the issue concerned.
Topics of individual seminars:
- Stylization, stylistics, style and other categories of film narration.
Morph, phonem, syntax, development of film narration
Classification of basic trends: Authenticity, Color range, Toning, Format Uses, Movements, Dynamics, Lighting, Digitization.
- The authenticity trend
Analyze the possibilities of enhancing authenticity in contemporary film.
Jean-Pierre Dardenne and Luc Dardenne
- Trends in motion and image dynamics
Following the trends in authenticity, the following workshop is dedicated story telling through image movements and their trends, which have been establishing increasingly on silver screen in recent years.
Robert D. Yeoman
- Trends in color and image toning
The options for working with color in the image have been both used and developed ever since color film established itself in the film industry. On one hand, the current technologies extend such options; on the other, they require a more complex approach by the authors themselves.
Guillermo del Toro
- Trends in the use of various image formats
At present, working with individual technology formats from mobile phone photography to IMAX technology is a common thing. The choice of formats also significantly influences the stylization concept of the resulting work and can create the pace of the film's narration.
- Trends in the approach to image lighting
The advent of digital technology has significantly affected the approach to the lighting methods and the creation of light atmospheres.
The seminar applies the analysis to the students' own work from the point of view of the image narration.
Doporučená nebo povinná literatura
ECO, Umberto, Teorie sémiotiky. Prague: Argo, 2009. ISBN 978-80-257-0157-7
GAMUT, LTF, Logic, language, and meaning 2 sv. Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press, 1991. ISBN 978-0-226-28088-2
SADOUL, Georges, Dějiny filmu. Prague: Orbis, 1958. 486 s.
THOMPSON, Kristin, BORDWELL, David, Dějiny filmu. Prague: Akademie múzických umění, 2007
THOMPSON, Kristin, Storytelling in New Hollywood. New York: Harvard University Press, 1999. ISBN 0-674-83974-9.
Hodnoticí metody a kritéria
- compilation of a critical essay on a selected work - a feature film (2000 words).
- final analysis of the individual students’ camera work.
The course will be in the form of analyses of examples from the works of various authors in relation to the topic
Rozvrh na zimní semestr 2019/2020:
Rozvrh zatím není připraven
Rozvrh na letní semestr 2019/2020:
Rozvrh zatím není připraven