Methodology of Modern Dance 3
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Development of teaching abilities and skills in instruction the techniques of modern dance.
- Integration of those techiques with other dance techniques.
- Forming of one's individual teaching style.
Mode of study
Exercises, analysis of recorded media samples, discussion.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Completion of Modern Dance Methods 1 and 2.
Modern dance methods means an understanding of the uniqueness of this dance branch, its blending with other influences, creative approach in instruction, finding one's educational style.
- Introduction to the basic technique principles of modern dance (Graham)
- Introduction to individual elements of this technique.
- Method and education procedures in its instruction
- Creative approach to the instruction of modern dance
Recommended or required reading
Feldenkrais, Moshé: Awarness through Movement (Pohybem k sebeuvědomění). Praha, 1996
Lewis, Daniel: The Illustrated Dance Technique of José Limón. New York, 1984
Schurr, Gertrude; Yocom, Rachael D.:Modern Dance (Techniques and teaching). New York: The Ronald Press Company, 1949
Horosko, Marian: Martha Graham. The Evolution of her Dance Theory and Training. Pennington, 1991
Stewart, Virginia, comp.: Modern Dance. New York, 1991
Stodelle, Ernestine: The Dance Technique of Doris Humphrey. Princetown, 1978
Warren, Larry: Lester Horton, Modern Dance Pioneer. New York, 1991
Cohan, Robert: The Dance Workshop. London, 1986
Assessment methods and criteria
Credit is awarded based on: Activity in exercises and class and subsequent analyses of teaching performance.
Course web page
Schedule for winter semester 2019/2020:
Schedule for summer semester 2019/2020:
The schedule has not yet been prepared