Art preparation of Feature Film 1
Subject is not scheduled Not scheduled
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
An introduction to the professions of stage designer, costume designer, make-up artist and their roles in the production of a film work. An introduction to film effects, the job of set builders, costume assistants, prop assistants ...
Emphasis on cooperation from the very beginning of project preparation - the scenographer can contribute significantly towards the forming of the directing concept, dramaturgy, by choice of locations, shot concept, colour schemes ..., the costume designer and make-up artist may influence the characteristics of the characters, actor selection, level of drama in the action, while technical professions affect the appearance and dynamic of shooting.
The joint project will initiate co-operation in the form required in practice, introduce what the individual professions should know about one another and how they should interrelate and grant preparation time to each other.
Mode of study
The subject will be taught in blocks by individual areas - Film Scenography, Film Costume, Film Make-Up, Special Effects in Film
Prerequisites and co-requisites
- FILM SCENOGRAPHY
- Art department- hierarchy, function
- Studio development - natural lighting, sound, artificial light
- Project - assignment
- The art of reading the drawings, 3D visualisations, Sketch-up applications
- Buildings in the studio, completion
- WORKSHOP for structure and texture
-in collaboration with painting and decoration workshops, students try to produce structured boards - stucco wall plaster, aged wall, cracked wall, tiles, wallpaper ...
- they take home the finished boards which will later be used in the studio for various types of background
Patina deciratir Mr. Stránský
- Material culture
- Historically authentic buildings and interiors
- History of building components - windows, doors
Students would get in touch with stage designers to allow collaboration on the final project
- COSTUME IN FILM
Katarina Štrbová Bieliková
- Introduction to thinking about costume, initial information on the costume creation process, cooperation of the costume designer with the director, cinematographer, set designer, make-up artist.
- Colour stylization, application options, dramaturgy.
- Character-building function of costume.
- The story line, transformations and development of the characters.
- Historical and contemporary costume, what they have in common, what is different about approach thereto
- Stylization, costume based on film genre.
- Costume in black & white film
- Sci-fi, fantasy, fairy tale
- FILM MAKE UP
Make-up in film
- An introduction to the meaning and process of creating the character of a dramatic persona using the right make-up
- Make-up in film: Why was make-up used with colour and B&W cinematographic film stock. Why is make-up applied today.
- /1. Creating the character of a dramatic persona using make-up according to the script and the director’s
idea, and the subsequent collaboration with costume designer and set designer
- Working with script, design, make-up and camera tests. Creating links
- The development and transformations of make-up according to the evolution of the character in the story, ageing etc.
4.Collaboration of the professions involved in filmmaking
- Everyday make-up
- Historic make-up / fairy tale / with hair and beard accessories
- Stylized make-up
- Minor special make-up: tears, sweat, bruises, scratches
- SFX effects in make-up
Collaboration towards a joint art concept of a film character by the make-up artist and costume designer
Practical demonstration of making up a character
Joint work with costume
The course of a shooting day from the point of view of make-up and costume designers
- SPECIAL EFFECTS IN FILM
Introducing basic film effects such as rain, wind, snow, fire, smoke, explosions, shots ..., explanation of individual steps, demonstration of selected effects
Expected place of the class is on set in the days of preparation for shooting, when the authentic preparation of the effect can be seen
If no job is in progress, the class would take place in the workshop in Rudná u Prahy
- project cooperation
Recommended or required reading
Film Craft: Production Design, Fionnuala Halligan, Illex
Production Design: Architects of the Screen (Short Cuts), Jane Barnwell
Designing for Screen: Production Design and Art Direction Explained, Georgina Shorte
Assessment methods and criteria
COMPLETION: Quartet project - all professions together
- a collaboration project of students of cinematography, stage design, costume and make-up and teachers of the cinematography and directing departments
- assignments defined by: Ondřej Nekvasil, Katarína Štrbová Bieliková, Zdeněk Klika, Petra Lebdušková
- a simple assignment for characters in a space - for example A. Dvořák's study, Emma Destinová’s bedroom ...
No schedule has been prepared for this course