Camera Work Seminar 1
Register Display Schedule
Kristian HYNEK KRÄMER
Name of lecturer(s)
Kristian HYNEK KRÄMER
Learning outcomes of the course unit
To create the basic knowledge of camera issues which create the basis for the subsequent practical exercises.
Mode of study
The course aim is to find a path to an understanding and manner of completing the prescribed exercises; Instructor justification of content, subsequent free discussions and screenings of exercises from previous years.
Preparations for implementing the exercise are completed by submitting the screenplay whose form is prescribed and gives sense to instruction. Only after these preparations is the the student permitted to shoot the exercise.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Stoprocentní účast na seminářích je důležitá vzhledem k praktickým návaznostem jednotlivých cvičení.
This course is at the first and second year study levels and is based on prepared and empirically tested practical exercises.
The exercise instructions are given in detail in „Instructions for the study exercise“ and are freely available to the students. It is the duty of the instructor to ensure strict adherence to those instructions.
The theory section of the course covers in detail the principles in creating a film image with all it relative attributes. The visual and technical quality of the results are a matter of course. To achieve quality results in the exercise the students must be guided from the very beginning. This course is focused on expanding knowledge in image technology, its exponometry, composition and lighting. All of these expression tools must precisely relate to the topic and dramaturgical concept of the given evercise. The movement technique and its function as an emotional effect of the film is explained. The principle of the individual exercises is to teach students how to work in the areas of feature and documentary film and television. The results should be professional level skills and responsibly face the task entrusted which awaits them in professional practice. It is important to prepare the cameraman for positive communications with the crew and his marked physical prpeparations for the complex conditions which can arise in shooting.
All prescribed exercises which the course contains /1st and 2nd year study/ are exercises from the beginning are completely creative. The instructor requires developed screenwriting preparations and a elaborated image screenplay which serves as a manual for the shooting exercise. Meeting deadlines from preparation through to implementation are monitored by the instructor and part of the final grading.
- Introduce students to the purpose and assignment of individual practical exercises.
- Screenplay assignment and preparations.
- Exponometric testing cooperation with the lab and its practical assessment.
- Consultations over the completed screenplay, graphic expression of individual shots, their function in the sense of size, composition and subsequent movements for the assigned task.
- Analysis of film image styles and their application based on previous year student screening exercises.
- Based on the screening of selected films guiding the students to an understanding of the service of image creation related to the topic and use of all expression means which the cameraman has at his disposition for augmenting the emotional effect of the work.
- Application of those tools within the framework of the exercise
- Screening of daily work, their technical assessment and preparations of rough material for editing.
- Editing composition, linking to a rhythm appropriate to the given exercise. Maintaining the assigned length.
Recommended or required reading
Veškerá dostupná literatura z oblasti techniky a teorie filmu, odborné i populární časopisy.
Školní projekce a systematické sledování distribuce zahraničních i českých filmů.
Názory na shlédnuté filmy a jejich rozbor je samozřejmou součástí semináře.
Assessment methods and criteria
The result of the exercises is credit or a grade level given by the commissions. The exercise implementation itself is preceeded by careful preparations whose product is the screenplay, which contain graphically clear shootings, a photo-studio scanned environment, lighting analysis and analysis of the sense of enbodiment. Part of the credit is as well, disciplined by punctuality and reliability. One-hundred percent attendance in class is assumed.
Schedule for winter semester 2019/2020:
Room No. 230
HYNEK KRÄMER K.
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
|Tue||19:00–21:25||Kristian HYNEK KRÄMER||Room No. 230
Schedule for summer semester 2019/2020:
The schedule has not yet been prepared