Archetypes of characters and situations in religions 2
|306ACH2||exam||2||2 lecture hours (45 min) of instruction per week, 29 to 39 hours of self-study||English||summer|
Name of lecturer(s)
The aim is to present in an introductory study in modern Western culture no only as a merely Christian society but primarily as a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic and multi-religious culture and as it is reflected in modern film. Effort will be made to demarcate the perspectives of the course including potential inter-disciplinary collaboration with other artistic and humanities studies.
- The principle of the „called“ in film.
- Depiction of the devil in film. The symbol of the devil in the Western context.
- Depiction of evil in Christian film
- The symbol of the devil in the Western cultural context.
- Religious - societal context of film with this topic
- The symbol of evil in the context of other cultures and religions.
●Evil as a dramatic element of the film narrative
●Voodoo, magic, Satanism
- Depicting rituals in film
●Depicting rituals in film 1:
- Christian rituals as dramatic elements of the film narrative
- Confession, weddings, burials, christening, exorcism, etc.
●Depicting rituals in film 2:
- Rituals as cultural symbols in film
- Natural religions, Buddhism, Crypto-religious societies, etc.
- Large religious systems - Judaism, Christianity, Islam
●Large religious systems in film 1:
- Christianity - Protestantism, Roman Catholicism, Charismatic societies, Ecumenical movments.
●Large religious systems in film 2:
- Excursions to so-called world religions as part of modern Euro-American cultures - Judaism.
●Large religious systems in film 3:
Excursions to so-called world religions as part of modern Euro-American cultures - Islam
Prerequisites and other requirements
The Tools of Screenwriting: A Writer's Guide to the Craft and Elements of a Screenplay
David Howard, Edward Mabley, St. Martin's Griffin; Reprint edition (January 15, 1995) ISBN-10: 0312119089, ISBN-13: 978-0312119089
Carl Gustav Jung." The Norton Anthology: Theory and Criticism
Hardcover: 2848 pages, Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company; Third edition (June 11, 2018)
Segal, Robert A. „Introduction.“ Jung on Mythology, Series: Encountering Jung, Paperback: 288 pages, Publisher: Princeton University Press; 2nd Ptg. edition (July 27, 1998),
Frye, Northrop. „The Archetypes of Literature.“ The Norton Anthology: Theory and Criticism. Ed. Vincent B. Leitch. New York: Norton, 2001. 1445 - 1457
ISBN 0195122712, 9780195122718
Rosemary´s Baby, director: Roman Polanski, 1968.
I Confess, director: Alfred Hitchcock, 1953.
The Last Temptation of Christ, director: Martin Scorsese, 1988.
Angel Heart, director: Alan Parker, 1987.
Dead Man, director: Jim Jarmusch, 1995.
Evaluation methods and criteria
Completion of the final exam.
Schedule for winter semester 2022/2023:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
Schedule for summer semester 2022/2023:
Room No. 311
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
|Tue||14:50–17:15||Libuše MARTÍNKOVÁ||Room No. 311
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Montage_2020 (required optional subject)