Documentary Photography 1
Subject is not scheduled Display Schedule
|307EDF1||exam||2||26 hours (45 min) of instruction per semester, 31 to 41 hours of self-study||English||winter|
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Developed creative skills in the use of photographic expression media in the area of reporting and documentary. Emphasis will be placed, particularly on practical skills in this area, that is, adopting fundamental techniques for documenting an exhibition and events, theatre photography and photos.
Mode of study
The student works either in analog or digital, color or B/W on the collection upon consultation with the instructor and according to the character of the topic and one's own intentions.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
This course is comprised of several documentary disciplines in whose synthesis the student acquires a practical basis for the development of their personal professional practice. This covers a sequence of exercises and consultations on whose conclusions are the results of several completed tasks.
- Documentation of an exhibition
- Documentation of an event/performance
- Fundamentals of a report
- The primary content is focused on the documentation of one's own installation and exhibition. However, the student should generally manage large and small gallery documentation. We focus on small private galleries such as „Nevan Contempo“ and larger institutions (The Rudolphinum).
Instruction is comprised of practical exercises in the field and subsequent consultations and correction of assignments.
- Documentation of an exhibition is far and away from the documentation of a preview, lecture, performance or other event in the fine arts. Students are to adopt a large scale of applications in the study.
- Basics of photographic report. Student is to photographically document a particular event at a Photo-journalistic objective level.
- Theatre photography
- Film photos.
- Critical report / subjective documentary.
Recommended or required reading
Česká divadelní fotografie
Bystander-the history of street photography
Film-Stills. Photography between Advertising, Art and the Cinema
Fotografické publikace z nakladatelství Torst- editace Fototorst a další mimo edici a nakladatelství Kant
Storytelling for Photojournalists: Reportage and Documentary Photography Techniques
Assessment methods and criteria
Graded are Communicability, imagination, and original approach to the given assigned topic on 6 - 10 photo in a minimum of 18x24 cm format.
Guarantor of the subject: Š. Šimlová
Lecturer: T. Souček
Schedule for winter semester 2022/2023:
room TR 130
Room No. 130
(Tržiště 20, Praha 1 (vchod z Rektorátu AMU, Malostranské nám. 12))
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
|Mon||09:00–12:15||David STECKER||Room No. 130
Tržiště 20, Praha 1 (vchod z Rektorátu AMU, Malostranské nám. 12)
Schedule for summer semester 2022/2023:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Photography EN - Bachelor-1920 (required subject)