Contemporary Photography and Art 2
Předmět není vypsán Nerozvrhuje se
|307ECON2||ZK||4||2 hodiny PŘEDNÁŠEK týdně (45 minut), 82 až 102 hodin domácí příprava||anglicky|
Jméno vyučujícího (jména vyučujících)
Výsledky učení dané vzdělávací složky
The student is oriented in contemporary art, understands contemporary theories of art and photography, is able to think about photography in the context of current discussions about technical images and is able to reflect on some of the topics discussed in his/her own creative work.
Předpoklady a další požadavky
The course introduces framework topics connecting the medium of photography with contemporary art, especially in relation to the History and Theory of Photography 1 and 2. The individual seminars will follow a certain chronology, but mainly a thematic connection. They will be complemented by visits to exhibitions and guests. Given the open-ended nature of contemporary art (as opposed to art history), but also within the range of possible approaches, the seminar will respond to students' particular interests.
Main topics (outline) of the course:
The list of topics is tentative and subject to change.
- Political Economy of Contemporary Art. 1) The value of contemporary art. The relationship between financial flows and cultural capital in contemporary art. The age of mass artistic production.
- Art and participation, „socially engaged art“. Aestheticization of politics, politicization of art. Art as a „safe space“?
- The politics of biennials. The history of the biennialisation of art. Biennials of resistance. The relationship between the global and the local.
- Critical curating. On the shifting boundaries between artist and curator. The political possibilities of curating.
- What is art in public space if we live in social bubbles? Issues of public space in the age of social networks, its boundaries and exclusion in the reflection of contemporary art.
- There is no art on a dead planet. Art in the time of the Anthropocene. The art scene and sustainability.
- Revisiting documentary strategies in art. The politics of truth, the rehabilitation of observation, the image of the other.
- The archival impulse. The role of the archive in Eastern European art, the display of the archive as a politics of memory.
- The rise of delegated performance. The artist as choreographer. Performance and documentation. Reenactment.
- Final seminar, discussion of seminar paper topics.
- Realism/Materialism/Art, Theory and Photography Today.
- Curating and key exhibitions of contemporary art - A Little History of Curating, When Attitudes becomes forms, Rooms, Pictures, Documenta;
Doporučená nebo povinná literatura
Heather Davis, “Art in the Anthropocene,” Posthuman Glossary, ed. Rosi Braidotti, Maria Hlavajova, London, New York: Bloomsberry Academic, 2018, pp. 63-65.
Steyerl, Hito, Florian Ebner, Doris Krystof, Marcella Lista, Nora M Alter, Teresa Castro, Florian Ebner, et al. Hito Steyerl - I Will Survive: Films and Installations, 2020.
Hito Steyerl, “Duty Free Art,” Duty Free Art. Art in the Age of Planetary Civil War. New York: Verso, 2017, pp. 134-159.
Hito Steyerl, I Dreamed a Dream: Politics in the Age of Mass Art Production, Former West, 13.3.2013, http://opentranscripts.org/transcript/dreamed-dream-politics-age-mass-art-production/.
Hal Foster, “An Archival Impulse,” October, 2004, pp. 3-22.
Amy Bryzgel, “Artistic Reenactments in East European Performance Art, 1960-present,” Artmargins online, 2018, http://www.artmargins.com/index.php/featured-articles-sp-829273831/812-artistic-reenactments-in-east-europe-introduction
Hodnoticí metody a kritéria
Active participation in the discussion and preparation for the seminar by reading the assigned texts. During the course, you are required to present a paper and submit a written work.
Paper: 15-minute presentation of the problem/topic of the seminar (can also be a presentation of the works of a specific artist/artist/artistic collective). Preparation of 3-4 questions for discussion
The written paper must be a minimum of 7000 characters including spaces. Choose a topic or issue that you are interested in (and have addressed during the seminar). The text should be a defense of your position on the topic, using primary or secondary sources that you will argue with or use to support your claims. Please send texts to email@example.com. Deadline: 29.4. The exam will take the form of a discussion of the submitted text.
Pro tento předmět se rozvrh nepřipravuje
Předmět je součástí následujících studijních plánů
- Fotografie EN - bakalář - 2022 (povinný předmět)