Methodology of Modern Dance 4
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Development of teaching abilities and skills in instruction the techniques of modern dance.
- Integration of those techiques with other dance techniques.
- Forming of one's individual teaching style.
Mode of study
Exercises, analysis of recorded media samples, discussion.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Completion of Modern Dance Methods 3.
Modern dance methods means an understanding of the uniqueness of this dance branch, its blending with other influences, creative approach in instruction, finding one's educational style.
- Introduction to the basic technique principles of modern dance (Graham)
- Introduction to individual elements of this technique.
- Method and education procedures in its instruction
- Creative approach to the instruction of modern dance
Recommended or required reading
Feldenkrais, Moshé: Awarness through Movement (Pohybem k sebeuvědomění). Praha, 1996
Lewis, Daniel: The Illustrated Dance Technique of José Limón. New York, 1984
Schurr, Gertrude; Yocom, Rachael D.:Modern Dance (Techniques and teaching). New York: The Ronald Press Company, 1949
Horosko, Marian: Martha Graham. The Evolution of her Dance Theory and Training. Pennington, 1991
Stewart, Virginia, comp.: Modern Dance. New York, 1991
Stodelle, Ernestine: The Dance Technique of Doris Humphrey. Princetown, 1978
Warren, Larry: Lester Horton, Modern Dance Pioneer. New York, 1991
Cohan, Robert: The Dance Workshop. London, 1986
Assessment methods and criteria
Credit is awarded based on: participation in exercises and in class. Written preparations of education performance and subsequent assessment are necessary for the exam.
Schedule for winter semester 2018/2019:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
Schedule for summer semester 2018/2019: