Basic of Dance Aesthetics 1
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
To acquire and awareness of aesthetics in relation to dance. The abililty to diagnose these events in dance works. To adopt functional dance work analysis methods.
Mode of study
Readings and subsequent text presentations. Analysis of recorded choreography works. Discussion. Research in the work reception and perception process.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Completion of General Aesthetics, knowledge of basic aesthetic and arts research terms. Ability to analyze events. A wide cultural view.
A definition of dance in relation to human society: potential definition of dance as a particular human cultural endeavour. Analysis and comparison of definitions. Types of dance function in society.
Dance and Art: Necessary and sufficent conditions for arranging a dance work in art. Recognition and analysis of the function of a dance work based on structuralist theory.
Dance and Theatre: Fundamental and historical relationships between dance and theatre in general. When does dance become theatre? Research of the particular relationship of dance and a theatre presentation. Definition of Ballet. Types of theatre dance pieces and their particulars.
Recommended or required reading
Mukařovský, Jan: Studie z estetiky. Odeon Praha 1966
Dorfles, Gillo: Proměny umění. Odeon Praha 1976
Novák, Mirko: Od skutečnosti k umění. NČVÚ Praha 1965
Chvatík, Květoslav: Strukturální estetika. Host Brno 2001
Ovsjanikov, M. F. a kol.: Marxisticko-leninská estetika. Svoboda Praha 1977
Váross, Marian: Estetično, umenie a člověk. Tatran Bratislava 1969
Volek, Jaroslav: Otázky taxonomie umění. Étos a afekt. In: Estetika, č. 3-4,1970 a č. 1-2, 1971
Volek, Jaroslav: Kapitoly z dějin estetiky I. Panton Praha 1985
Schumacher, Ernst a kol.: Darsteller und Darstellungskunst, Berlin 1981
Jůzl, Miloš.-Prokop,Dušan:Úvod do estetiky. Panorama Praha 1969
Assessment methods and criteria
Credit is awarded based on activity in lecture and an analysis of a selected choreographic work and its subsequent defense in discussion.
Schedule for winter semester 2018/2019:
Schedule for summer semester 2018/2019:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Choreography (Bc) (required subject with the possibility of repeat registration)
- Dance Pedagogy (Bc) (required subject with the possibility of repeat registration)
- Dance Pedagogy (Bc) - Classical Dance (required subject with the possibility of repeat registration)
- Dance Pedagogy (Bc) - Modern Dance (required subject with the possibility of repeat registration)
- Dance Pedagogy (Bc) - Folk Dance (required subject with the possibility of repeat registration)
- Dance Theory (Bc) (required subject with the possibility of repeat registration)
- Non-Verbal Theatre (Bc) (required subject with the possibility of repeat registration)