Fundamentals of Sound Technology for Musicians
|171ZZTH||exam||1||1 lecture hours (45 min) of instruction per week, 16 to 21 hours of self-study||English, Czech||winter|
Name of lecturer(s)
The student will become familiar with the basic types and characteristics of microphones, mixing desks, the concept of technological procedures and the characteristics of other elements of recording studio equipment such as amplifiers, equalizers, indicators, etc.
They will learn about the development of methods of recording and processing audio signals. At the end of the course, selected recording techniques are demonstrated practically in the studio.
- Analogue magnetic recording, principle, properties, tape recorders, tape recorders.
- Digital recording, principle, properties, DAT tapes and tape recorders.
- Gramophone record, CD, recording principle and properties.
- Hard disk recording, digital sound processors.
- Basic types, characteristics and arrangement of loudspeakers and their arrays, headphones.
- Types and equipment of recording studios.
- Types and equipment of sound engineering rooms.
- Music recording technology and techniques.
The student has a basic knowledge of the technical equipment of a recording studio. The student is familiar with the various principles of sound recording.
Prerequisites and other requirements
OWSINSKI, Bobby. The Mixing Engineer's Handbook: Fourth Edition. Bobby Owsinski Media Group, 2017. ISBN 978-0988839182.
RUNSTEIN, Robert - HUBER, David Miles. Modern Recording Techniques (Audio Engineering Society Presents) 9th Edition. Routledge, 2017. ISBN 978-1138954373.
Evaluation methods and criteria
The test consists of two parts:
- a final test on the material covered - 80% of the final grade.
attendance - 20% of the final grade
Other requirements: 50% attendance in lectures. In the case of failure to meet the attendance, the student is assigned a paper that elaborates on a topic chosen by the teacher within the lecture material.
This course is an elective for all students of this school
Schedule for winter semester 2023/2024:
Schedule for summer semester 2023/2024:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Jazz Interpretation (Mg) (required subject with the possibility of repeat registration)