Speech as Active Communication 1
Subject is not scheduled Display Schedule
|202EVC1||credit||1||1 hours (45 min) of instruction per week, 16 to 21 hours of self-study||English||winter|
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Discovering one's own speaking voice, and how to work with it.
- Discovering one's spoken English, how to work with it.
- Learning to listen and. hear
- Learning to speak with sense and logic.
- Learning to speak expressively and with expression .
- Learning to speak with someone (and with oneself).
The voicework is based on selected texts in English.
Mode of study
- Regular practical classes in small groups and one on one.
- Analysis of attempts and final presentations.
- Discussions about recommended literature.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
- Functional listening skills, and ability for functional, speech creation.
- Basic talent and education.
Systematic work from class to class and intensive preparations at home on a selected text or texts.
Recommended or required reading
Berry, Cicely: Voice and the Actor. New York: Wiley Publishing, 1973.
Donnellan, Declan: The Actor and the Target. London: Nick Hern Books 2005.
Gutekunst, Christina and Gillet, John: Voice into Acting. London: Bloomsbury 2014.
Houseman, Barbara: Finding your Voice, London: Nick Hern Books 2002.
Ong, Walter J.: Orality and Literacy and technologizing of the word. London, New York: Routledge 2012.
Rodenburg, Patsy: The Actor Speaks. London: Methuen Drama 1997.
Rodenburg, Patsy: The Need for Words: Voice and the Text. London: Methuen Drama 2005.
Vyskočil, Ivan and company: (Inter)acting with the inner partner. (Edited by Michal Čunderle and Alex Komlosi), Czech translated by Alexander Komlosi. Praha: Brkola 2011.
Assessment methods and criteria
Credit is awarded based on: class participation, attendance, homework (75%), final presentations, and discussions on recommended readings.
Schedule for winter semester 2022/2023:
(Karlova 26, Praha 1)
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
Karlova 26, Praha 1
Schedule for summer semester 2022/2023:
The schedule has not yet been prepared