Film and Television Stage Design 1
Subject is not scheduled Display Schedule
Name of lecturer(s)
Ondřej LIPENSKÝ, Ondřej NEKVASIL
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Introduction to issues in working with film and television scripts. The differences in the perception of film and theatre set-design.
- Treatments of simple spaces according to a given text, working with space, color, lighting and props.
- A comprehensive proposal of simple sets, which manages all aspects not only in design but also technical.
Mode of study
Assignments, proposals of parts of sets, proposal consultations, proposal consultations, work correction with reference material.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Film set design is a trade which deals with the artistic treatment of a film work. The set designer is a significant member of the film creative team.
- History of film set design.
- Film set design instruments.
- Definition of a film shot.
- Film set designer work structure.
- Teamwork on an audio-visual work.
Recommended or required reading
What an Art Director Does, Ward Preston, Silman-James Press 1994, Los Angeles, USA
Production Design and Art Direction, Peter Ettedgui, Roto Vision SA 1998, San Francisco, USA
The Filmmaker's Guide to Production Design, Vincent LoBrutto, Allworth Press 2002, New York, USA
If It's Purple Someone's Gonna Die, Patti Bellantoni, Focal Press 2005, Oxford, UK
The Visual story, Bruce A Block, Elsevier 2008, Oxford, UK
By Design, Vincent LoBrutto, Praeger Publishers 1992, USA
The Art Direction Handbook For Film, Michael Rizzo, Focal Press 2005, USA
Designing Film, Toni Ludi, Bertz and Fischer Verlag Berlin, 2010, Germany
Designs the Movies, Ken Adam, Thames and Hudson, London 2008, UK
Assessment methods and criteria
The outcome of the semester work is the Summary project. The scope of the Summary work is assigned at the beginning of the semester. Fulfilling the scope of the work is a fundamental element in student evaluation. If the entire extent has not been developed, meaning either the artistic or technical part, the project is assessed as insufficient. The quality of the developed work is a component which influence the grading. Student activity during the semester is a supplementary element to the grading. During the semester the student works on several partial tasks whose completion is an inseparable part of the student grading.
Schedule for winter semester 2019/2020:
(Karlova 26, Praha 1)
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
Karlova 26, Praha 1
Schedule for summer semester 2019/2020:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Stage Design (B.A.) (required main subject)