Stage Design - Film and Television 1
Subject is not scheduled Display Schedule
Name of lecturer(s)
Jindřich KOČÍ, Ondřej NEKVASIL
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Introduction to issues in working with film and television scripts. The differences in the perception of film and theatre set-design.
- Treatments of simple spaces according to a given text, working with space, color, lighting and props.
- A comprehensive proposal of simple sets, which manages all aspects not only in design but also technical.
Mode of study
Assignments. Set design elements proposals. Consultations on proposals. Correction with reference materials.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Film set design is a trade which deals with the artistic treatment of a film work. The set designer is a significant member of the film creative team.
- History of film set design.
- Film set design instruments.
- Definition of a film shot.
- Film set designer work structure.
- Teamwork on an audio-visual work.
Recommended or required reading
What an Art Director Does, Ward Preston, Silman-James Press 1994, Los Angeles, USA
The Filmmaker's Guide to Production Design, Vincent LoBrutto, Allworth Press 2002, New York, USA
The Art Direction Handbook For Film, Michael Rizzo, Focal Press 2005, USA
Assessment methods and criteria
The result of the semester work is the summary project. The extent of the submitted summary work is assigned at the beginning of the semester. Fulfillment of the work volume from the size viewpoint is a fundamental item in assessing the student. If the entire volume is not developed, meaning the artistic and techical parts, the project is graded as very insufficient. The quality of the developed work is an item which influences the grading level. The activity of the student during the semester is a supplementary element to grading. During the semester the student completes several parts whose fulfillment is an inseparable part of the student assessment.
Schedule for winter semester 2019/2020:
(Karlova 26, Praha 1)
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
Karlova 26, Praha 1
Schedule for summer semester 2019/2020:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Stage Design - Film and Television (M.A.) (required main subject)