Stage Design - Film and Television 3
Subject is not scheduled Display Schedule
Name of lecturer(s)
Jindřich KOČÍ, Ondřej NEKVASIL
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Introduction to issues of the exterior structure in film set-design.
- Managing an exterior film scene according to an assigned text. Working with the space of a real location, joining an existing location to a location, color, lighting, props and the technical treatment of an exterior scene.
- A comprehensive proposal of an exterior scene according to a film script which manages the assignment in all aspects not only the graphic but also the technical-production aspects.
Mode of study
Assignment of the Summary work. Consultation inspection of a location. Consultation on defining space for scenery construction. Consultations on individual scenery proposal phases.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Film set design is a trade which deals with the artistic treatment of a film work. The set designer is a significant member of the film creative team.
- History of film set design.
- Film set design instruments.
- Definition of a film shot.
- Film set designer work structure.
- Teamwork on an audio-visual work.
Recommended or required reading
What an Art Director Does, Ward Preston, Silman-James Press 1994, Los Angeles, USA
Production Design and Art Direction, Peter Ettedgui, Roto Vision SA 1998, San Francisco, USA
The Filmmaker's Guide to Production Design, Vincent LoBrutto, Allworth Press 2002, New York, USA
Designs the Movies, Ken Adam, Thames and Hudson, London 2008, UK
Assessment methods and criteria
The result of the semester work is the summary project. The extent of the submitted summary work is assigned at the beginning of the semester. Fulfillment of the work volume from the size viewpoint is a fundamental item in assessing the student. If the entire volume is not developed, meaning the artistic and techical parts, the project is graded as very insufficient. The quality of the developed work is an item which influences the grading level. The activity of the student during the semester is a supplementary element to grading. During the semester the student completes several parts whose fulfillment is an inseparable part of the student assessment.
Schedule for winter semester 2019/2020:
(Karlova 26, Praha 1)
Schedule for summer semester 2019/2020:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Stage Design - Film and Television (M.A.) (required main subject)