Subject is not scheduled Not scheduled
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Senior MA program - teacher as chosen by the student
- Basics of theatre direction.
- Directing from the perspective of genre variety.
- The general alphabet of a director; alphabet of a director in the sense of an authorial position and statement.
- Working with the production team and ultimate theatrical synthesis. General idea.
- Working with the actor.
Mode of study
Classes, consultations, exams, reviews.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Creativity and reflection, ability to analyse and synthesise, ability to communicate.
- Basic pre-requisites for directorial work.
- The director in theatre; musical, artistic and physical theatre, focusing on alternative and puppet theatre.
- Textual analysis. Personal vision of the world and a personal statement on the world.
- Theme and story.
- Integrational mode of thinking.
- Time and rhythm.
- Detail and the whole.
- Editing and montage.
- Working with the actor. Situation. The character and actor's personality.
- Improvisational method.
- Specific production practice.
Direction in synthetic and authorial theatre.
Contemporary direction has access to all possibilities of expression; it is open and seeks unity in quantity. It develops a principle of theatre with its own eyes and speaks to the present in a dialectic. We see everything from our own creative method governed by improvisation.
Recommended or required reading
- Peter Brook - Empty Space
- Peter Brook - Pohyblivý bod
- Zdeněk Hořínek - Divadlo jako hra
- Jaroslav Vostrý - Directing is an Art
- Vsevolod Mejerchold - Reconstructing the Theatre
- Josef Kovalčuk - Authorial Theatre
Assessment methods and criteria
On-going consultations, supervision in rehearsals, review. Grading reflects the creativity results as well as their review and clarity of students future profile.
The course of study is determined by the person selected to be the master's study supervisor.
Instruction schedule see: www DAMU / katedra ALD / Rozvrhy hodin
No schedule has been prepared for this course
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Directing for Devised and Object Theatre in English (M.A.) (required main subject)