Alternative World Theatre in the 20th and 21st Century 1
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
To introduce students to the most diverse trends in contemporary world theatre. Emphasis is placed primarily on the diversity of contemporary theatre and the dissolution of borders between individual artistic forms. Particular attention is devoted to post-dramatic or non-interpretive theatre forms.
Mode of study
Instruction through a presentation supplemented by videos, attended performances and topic classes. Contemporary pieces in stage arts will be, primarily, presented in contemporary theatre, dance, graphic and puppet theatre artists' profiles.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
- Analysis and review skills.
- At least a passive knowledge of English.
Modern creations in stage arts through contemporary authors in modern theatre, dance and artistic puppet theatre.
Recommended or required reading
Oscar G. Brockett - Dějiny divadla, Praha 2008
Kazimierz Braun: Druhá divadelní reforma?, Praha 1993
Jan Hyvnar: Herec v moderním divadle, Praha 2001
Eugenio Barba - Nicole Savarese: Slovník divadelní antropologie, Praha 2000
Anne Bogart, Tina Landau: Úhly pohledu, Praha 2007
Declan Donnellan: Herec a jeho cíl, Praha 2007
Irena Sławińska: Divadlo v současném myšlení, Praha 2002
Hans-Thies Lehmann: Postdramatické divadlo, Bratislava 2007
Peter Brook: Pohyblivý bod, Praha 1996
Dana Kalvodová: Asijské divadlo na konci milénia, Praha 2003
Elinor Fuchs: The Death of Character, Perspectives on Theater after Modernism, Indiana University Press, 1996
Jon Whitmore: Directing Postmodern Theatre, Ann Arbor, 2001
Magazines: Svět a divadlo, Taneční zóna, Loutkář.
Assessment methods and criteria
A condition for acquiring credit in the winter semester is 80% class participation. A condition for sitting the exam in the Summer semester is also a condition for successful completion of the course is class participation, completion of the course in the form of a 5 page essay reviewing the instruction content over the entire year.
This course may be attended by an limited number of Production Dept. and Theory and Critique Dept. students.
This course is an elective for all students of this school
Schedule for winter semester 2019/2020:
(Karlova 26, Praha 1)
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
|Mon||15:30–17:00||Lukáš JIŘIČKA||Hallerův sál
Karlova 26, Praha 1
Schedule for summer semester 2019/2020:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Dramaturgy for Alternative and Puppet Theatre (M.A.) (optional subject)
- Acting for Alternative and Puppet Theatre (B.A.) (optional subject)
- Acting for Alternative and Puppet Theatre (M.A.) (optional subject)
- Directing and Dramaturgy for Alternative and Puppet Theatre (B.A.) (optional subject)
- Directing for Alternative and Puppet Theatre (M.A.) (optional subject)
- Directing for Devised and Object Theatre in English (M.A.) (optional subject)
- Stage Design for Alternative and Puppet Theatre (B.A.) (optional subject)
- Stage Design for Alternative and Puppet Theatre (M.A.) (optional subject)
- Arts Management (M.A.) (required optional subject)
- Arts Management in English (M.A.) (required subject)