Producers in Arts 4
Name of lecturer(s)
Štěpán KUBIŠTA, Petr PROKOP
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Student acquires necessary knowledge in the area of current tendencies in Czech and world theatre, performing arts and culture in general.
- Student acquires the skill to analyse the environment of live arts in the Czech Republic and abroad and applies the knowledge in their production practice.
- Student is prepared to perform the duties of a producer (or director of an arts organization or festival), that is, a person responsible for concept preparations of the content and program arrangement of the event, and co-responsible for the assembly of the arts team, staffing and artistic results of the project.
Mode of study
Series 8 combined course, created and prepared by a group of instructors (Prokop, Kubišta) and master's studies students in DAMU Production Dept.. The classes include one or more guests in combination with student presentations on a previously assigned topic.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
No knowledge requirements.
Instruction is in acquiring knowledge and experience through personal meetings with persons who the students may use as examples and who inspire them in their own future practice. Student participation is required.
Each semester block of classes is devoted to one topic. For this topic a total of 4 production figures are invited who are guests of the course. Aside from guest presentations part of the course is, of course, examples of their work, archive materials, video and audio recordings, photographs, etc. Emphasis is placed on a wide spectrum of artistic practie and presentation of diverse approaches in how to create in artistic operations. The classes are supplemented with student presentations on a previously assigned topic for the given topic block.
- Introduce student to the most significant contemporary Czech production figures and those in culture management, who have show to significantly influenced the development and understanding of the management of a culture project in „Czech dimensions“.
- Present selected contemporary foreign figures in culture management.
- Broaden the awareness of the irreplaceable role of the producer for the creation and life of an artistic project.
Recommended or required reading
Cihlář, O., Jordan H.: Orbis cirkus, NAMU, Praha 2014
Cikánek, M., Žáková, E., Lehečková, E., Jaurová, Z., Bednář, P.: Kreativní průmysly - příležitost pro novou ekonomiku II, Institut umění - Divadelní ústav, Praha, 2013
Dvořák, J., Kreativní management pro divadla, aneb, O divadle jinak: Kapitoly k tématu realizace divadla. Praha: Pražská scéna, 2004
Chládková, B. Divadelní systémy v Evropě. Praha: Divadelní ústav, 2001
Ljubková M. a kol.: Šťastná generace. Režiséři z alterny., Pražská scéna, 2014
Nekolný B.: Studiové divadlo a jeho české cesty. Praha: Scéna, 1991
Smolíková M. ed., Management umění. Praha: ProCulture, 2008
Šesták J.: Divadlo - kultura - podmínky (Osobní zkušenost), Edice disk, KANT, 2012
Václavová, D., Žižka, T.: Site Specific, Pražská scéna, Praha 2008
and others according to guest intentions.
Assessment methods and criteria
During the semester 75% attendance (a block of classes with guests in student presentations), an approx. 20 minute presetation before other students on a previously assigned topic related to topical focus of the given semester and discussion participation are required. The study is concluded with credit which is a public 20 min. team presentation on an assigned topic before other students. Participation in the entire block of final credit presentations is compulsory for all students. The overall grading is comprised of 25% for class participation and 25% for presentation during the semester an 50% for the final public presentation.
Schedule for winter semester 2019/2020:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
Schedule for summer semester 2019/2020:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Arts Management (M.A.) (required subject)