Documentary / Atelier exercise
Name of lecturer(s)
Pavel MAREK, Ondřej ZACH
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Creative exercise in documentary filmmaking, students gain documentary filmmaking knowledge and skills.
Mode of study
Prerequisites and co-requisites
- To present a project during pitching, directors treatment delivery 3 days prior pitching (dir. treatment has to contain essential crew members ? DoP and camera crew, production manager, set designer, sound designer). 100% attendance of „Creative Documentary Today for CDM student“ module during the Fall term of the academic year.
- The execution of the project is preceded by successfully accomplished script (FAMU International). Equipment list has to be approved by cinematography mentor and provided to FAMU International production office for ordering.
TOPICAL DOCUMENTARY, 2nd year of CDM directors.
Directing students writes and directs short film up to 15 minutes based documentary topic. Students are led in their tutorial workshops to develop topical documentary based on true characters or events. There is no style limit, except of avoiding only poetical creation. No matter which way, but the topicality should be clear part of the film - either the topic exposes intimate, personal or social issues.
The artistic initiative comes from Directing student who actively searches for collaborating Cinematography student.
Definition of the project: Joint exercise between Master degree student of Cinematography and FAMU International Cinema and Digital Media directing student based on script developed by directing student within the FAMU International directing workshop.
Recommended or required reading
Bill Nichols: Introduction to Documentary Film
Sheila Curran Bernard: Dcoumentary Storytelilng
Assessment methods and criteria
The project is evaluated by the committee consisted of faculties and guests during the Fall term projects screening in the beginning of February.
- The light and grip list has to be created according to the script and location possibilities and has to be approved by cinematography mentor of CINKK student. Digital camera (Canon 5D) and technology are not subject of a change.
- This exercise applies only to Cinematography Master degree students of 1st year and Cinema and Digital Media directing of 2nd year
- Production: FAMU International
No schedule has been prepared for this course