Documentary / Atelier exercise
Subject is not scheduled Not scheduled
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
With this exercise students will:
-explore different possible themes for documentary filmmaking and analyze the potential of these ideas for realization
-recognize the progressive phases of a documentary director’s work
in Atelier exercise
-learn how to interpret the existing dramatic text by the process of its visualization
-will understand how it is possible to find own creative voice in the adaptation of the existing dramatic text
-learn to work within the lits set by existing scripts
-practice the work on the film studio set
Mode of study
Prerequisites and co-requisites
- To present a project during pitching, directors treatment delivery 3 days prior pitching (dir. treatment has to contain essential crew members ? DoP and camera crew, production manager, set designer, sound designer). 100% attendance of „Creative Documentary Today for CDM student“ module during the Fall term of the academic year.
- The execution of the project is preceded by successfully accomplished script (FAMU International). Equipment list has to be approved by cinematography mentor and provided to FAMU International production office for ordering.
Directing students to write and direct short film up to 15 minutes based documentary topic. Students are led in their tutorial workshops to develop a topical documentary based on true characters or events. There is no style limit, except for avoiding only poetical creation. No matter which way, but the topicality should be a clear part of the
film – either the topic exposes intimate, personal or social issues. The artistic initiative comes from Directing student who actively searches for collaborating Cinematography student.
Students adapt the assigned script for the realization of the pre-defined set built in film studio. Students analyze the script, seek a creative interpretation of its meaning and finds a way for conveying it using the tools of the audiovisual expression.
Recommended or required reading
Bill Nichols: Introduction to Documentary Film
Sheila Curran Bernard: Dcoumentary Storytelilng
Assessment methods and criteria
Public screening; The student’s project is evaluated by the panel of the teachers of the faculty.
The minimum essential criteria of evaluation:
Audiovisual interpretation of the script 40%
Casting and directing actors - 20%
Overall artistic success - 40%
Choice of the topic and research - 30%
Use of the film language and tools of documentary filmmaking - 30%
Overall artistic success - 40%
- The light and grip list has to be created according to the script and location possibilities and has to be approved by cinematography mentor of CINKK student. Digital camera (Canon 5D) and technology are not subject of a change.
- This exercise applies only to Cinematography Master degree students of 1st year and Cinema and Digital Media directing of 2nd year
- Production: FAMU International
No schedule has been prepared for this course