History of Stage Design 1
Subject is not scheduled Display Schedule
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Introduction to the history of set-design on the European continent, its most important stages and influence on set-design in Bohemia. Acquainting students with the methods used in creating a stage space and elucidate their principles.
Mode of study
Lectures on the work of the most important world and Czech set-designers. Sources of inspiration and relationships to European set-design.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Maturita exam, general pre-college knowledge of the history of the fine arts.
Lectures and classes with a presentation of the most significant set design work from the Baroque set design and costuming to the beginning of modern set design. A paper on a selected topic in the history of set design. Searching for souces of inspirations and contexts of set design.
- Baroque stage design, Types of set design in the 19th century.
- Other Baroque theatres in Bohemia (a survey, characteristics, Valtice, Kačina, Mnichovo Hradiště, Náchod), Zámecke Divadlo in Litomyšl (J. Platzer).
- Giuseppe Gallí-Bibiena and assoc., principles of illusory perspective scenery.
- Český Krumlov, Johann Wetschel, Leo Merkel.
- Typcast set design of the 19th century. Quaglio, Brioschi-Burghardt-Katuský, The Russian Avant Garde, German Expressionism, Italian Futurism, Appia, Craig, Diagilev's ballets.
Recommended or required reading
Svět barokního divadla, Český Krumlov 2010, Oskar Schlemmer, Böblingen 1988
Die Russische Avantgarde und die Bühne 1890-1930, Schleswig 1991
Ribi H., E. G. Craig, Figur und Abstraktion, Basel 2000, Dějiny českého divadla III., IV., Praha 1983
Assessment methods and criteria
75% attendance at lectures and classes, independent creation of the course paper and its presentation (approx. 10 pages of text), credit through an oral exam.
Schedule for winter semester 2019/2020:
(Karlova 26, Praha 1)
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
|Fri||08:30–10:00||Vlasta KOUBSKÁ||Hallerův sál
Karlova 26, Praha 1
Schedule for summer semester 2019/2020:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Dramaturgy for Dramatic Theatre (M.A.) (optional subject)
- Directing and Dramaturgy for Dramatic Theatre (B.A.) (optional subject)
- Directing for Dramatic Theatre (M.A.) (optional subject)
- Stage Design (B.A.) (required subject)