Theory of Stage Design in Film and Television 1
Name of lecturer(s)
Radmila IBLOVÁ, Jindřich KOČÍ, Ondřej NEKVASIL
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Introduction to issues of film and television set-design, differences in the perception of film set-design and theatre set-design.
- Introduction to the history and development of film set-design.
- On examples of Czech and World film, presentation of the work of the set-designer with various topics and various conditions.
Mode of study
Classes, film screening and their analysis from the perspective of the screenwriter.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
- General knowledge of the history of Czech and world film.
- General knowledge of theory studies in film.
- Analytical and review skills.
Film set design is a trade which deals with the artistic treatment of a film work. The set designer is a significant member of the film creative team.
- History of film set design.
- Film set design instruments.
- Definition of a film shot.
- Film set designer work structure.
- Teamwork on an audio-visual work.
Recommended or required reading
Production Design and Art Direction, Peter Ettedgui, Roto Vision SA 1998, San Francisco, USA
If It's Purple Someone's Gonna Die, Patti Bellantoni, Focal Press 2005, Oxford, UK
The Visual story, Bruce A Block, Elsevier 2008, Oxford, UK
By Design, Vincent LoBrutto, Praeger Publishers 1992, USA
Designing Film, Toni Ludi, Bertz and Fischer Verlag Berlin, 2010, Germany
Designs the Movies, Ken Adam, Thames and Hudson, London 2008, UK
Assessment methods and criteria
Credit is awarded based on participation and attendance in lectures and classes.
Schedule for winter semester 2018/2019:
(Karlova 26, Praha 1)
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
Karlova 26, Praha 1
Schedule for summer semester 2018/2019:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Stage Design - Film and Television (M.A.) (required main subject)