Dramaturgy as a Function 1
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Acquaint students with the content of the dramaturgy element of a theatre piece from a historical development perspective, contemporary trends and concepts.
- Acquaint students with the functional link of dramaturgy with the other elements in a dynamic, that is, continuous interaction concept.
- Acquaint students with the basic and supplemental tasks of the dramaturg in the entire run from the birth and existence of a stage piece.
Mode of study
Aside from lectures...analysed videos and examples from dramaturgy pieces.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
The student must have a general knowled of fundamental theatre practices.
The student must have a good bearing in the historical development of theatre.
The student must be able to review an observed staging.
The Winter semester course covers:
- Defining dramaturgy.
- A brief glimpse into the historical development of dramaturgy.
- Defining the three pillars of modern dramaturgy.
- The cultural space of theatre - communication potential and requirements.
- Characteristics of theatre enterprise, activities and experiements.
- Function and form of team theatre activities and stagings.
- Development of script sources for staging projects.
- The piece order system.
- Three approaches: analytical, topical, associative.
- A presentation of theatre activities.
- Supplemental DVD screenings of stagings and their analysis.
Recommended or required reading
Bří Mrštíkové: Myryša; Moliere: Don Juan; B. Brecht: Kavkazský křídový kruh; J. Švarc: Drak
Slovník světového divadla (DÚ)
Divadla studiového typu - (sborníky DÚ)
Světové divadlo - (sborníky DÚ)
Moderní tvář divadla
Hra o lásce a smrti, Král Ubu, Komedie o umučení (sborník DÚ)
Myšlení o divadle I a II
Časopisy: Divadelní revue, Svět a divadlo, DISK, Loutkář
Other literature presented in accreditation material of the Dept. of Alternative and Puppet Theatre of DAMU and posted on the Dept's. website.
Assessment methods and criteria
Credit is awarded based on submission and discussion of the defended essay which the instructor assigns during the semester.
This course is an elective for all AMU students
Schedule for winter semester 2018/2019:
(Karlova 26, Praha 1)
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
|Tue||13:30–15:00||Miloslav KLÍMA||Hallerův sál
Karlova 26, Praha 1
Schedule for summer semester 2018/2019:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Directing and Dramaturgy for Alternative and Puppet Theatre (B.A.) (required subject)
- Arts Management (B.A.) (required subject)
- Arts Management (M.A.) (required optional subject)
- Theory and criticism (B.A.) (optional subject)