Dramaturgy as a Function 2
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Acquaint students with the content of the dramaturgy element of a theatre piece from a historical development perspective, contemporary trends and concepts.
- Acquaint students with the functional link of dramaturgy with the other elements in a dynamic, that is, continuous interaction concept.
- Acquaint students with the basic and supplemental tasks of the dramaturg in the entire run from the birth and existence of a stage piece.
Mode of study
Aside from lectures...analysed videos performances which illustrate the lecture topics.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
The student must have a general knowled of fundamental theatre practices.
The student must have a good bearing in the historical development of theatre.
The student must be able to review an observed staging.
The student must have completed the course: Dramaturgy as an Element of a Theatre Piece 1.
The Summer semester course covers the topics:
- A detailed description of the dramaturgy portion from idea to close.
- Changes of metaphor and imagery from a dramaturgical perspective.
- Interpretation and dramaturgy.
- Grossman-Krofta, two possible theatre path positions.
- Three approaches to interpretation: analytical, topical, associative.
- The part of the dramaturg in the theatre performance.
Accompanying recordings of important theatre stagings with analyses.
Recommended or required reading
Slovník světového divadla (DÚ)
Divadla studiového typu - (sborníky DÚ)
Světové divadlo - (sborníky DÚ)
Moderní tvář divadla
Hra o lásce a smrti, Král Ubu, Komedie o umučení (sborník DÚ)
Myšlení o divadle I a II
Časopisy: Divadelní revue, Svět a divadlo, DISK, Loutkář
Other literature presented in accreditation material of the Dept. of Alternative and Puppet Theatre of DAMU and posted on the Dept's. website.
Assessment methods and criteria
The credit and test are awarded based on the defense of a small piece on one of the lecture topics of the student's choice. Supplementary questions will be given by the examiner on another topic. If needed, additional lecture topics may be opened.
This course is an elective for all AMU students
Schedule for winter semester 2018/2019:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
Schedule for summer semester 2018/2019:
(Karlova 26, Praha 1)
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
|Tue||13:00–14:30||Miloslav KLÍMA||Hallerův sál
Karlova 26, Praha 1
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Directing and Dramaturgy for Alternative and Puppet Theatre (B.A.) (required subject)
- Arts Management (B.A.) (required subject)
- Arts Management (M.A.) (required optional subject)
- Theory and criticism (B.A.) (optional subject)