Management of artistic processes
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Orienting the student in theatre operations with a resident company with emphasis on multi-company theatres.
- Acquainting students with the management of those institutions.
- Acquainting students with the status of theatre in the region, its mission and problematic relationships and communications with founders.
Mode of study
Lecture, moderated discussions, essays, writings analysis.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
- General knowledge and bearing in theatre issues.
- General knowledge of Czech and World drama literature.
- Basics of management and economics.
- Theatre institution structures (multiple company).
- Relations and work organization among individual theatre workplaces.
- Planning, strategy, implementation - knowledge of issue, responsibility, care, communications.
- Dramaturgical plan as the fundamental strategic material for theatre management.
- Theatre mission and amount of responsibility of individual workplaces and workers for that mission.
- Psychology of operations in arts bodies and artistic-technical operations.
- A model of internal finance of a multi-company theatre.
- Product - performance in relation to the internal operations of the theatre.
- Difference between the project model of an artistic team and resident artistic complany (basics of building and artistic company).
- Theatre institutions and founders.
- Theatre and employee.
- Theatre and the audience.
Recommended or required reading
Drucker P.F., Řízení neziskových organizací, Management press, Praha 1994
Hagoort G., Umělecký management v podnikatelském stylu, KANT, Praha 2009
Hilar, K.H. Pražská dramaturgie, Sfinx, Praha 1930
Šesták J., Divadlo-kultura-podmínky, KANT-edice DISK, Praha 2013
Assessment methods and criteria
During the semester independent readings are required and participation in discussions which are a requirement for sitting the exam.
Requirements for course completion: Class participation, completion and presentation of course paper and ocmpletion of one test and one essay.
Overall grading is comprised of 30% for class participation, 60% for the written portion of the exam and 10% for the oral portion.
Schedule for winter semester 2019/2020:
Učebna R311 (DAMU)
(Karlova 26, Praha 1)
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
|Thu||15:45–18:45||Jiří ŠESTÁK||Učebna R311 (DAMU)
Karlova 26, Praha 1
Schedule for summer semester 2019/2020:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Arts Management (M.A.) (required subject)