The Camera in Documentary Film 4
Subject is not scheduled Not scheduled
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Systematic preparations of Camera Dept. students for the cameraman function in shooting a documentary film. Camera Dept. students acquire fundamental skills for working with the cameraman.
Mode of study
During the semester the student shoots with a 35mm film camera onto B/W negative material. The developed negative is submitted to NFA (National Film Archives) and from a DVCAM transfer one's own version of CHRONICLE is composed in the editing room. The resulting edit is submitted for the Summary Exam.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
A requirement is completion of the basics of camera work in the framework of the 1st and 2nd year Camera Dept. study.
- Analysis of prepared student documentary projects.
- Preparations for shooting the cameraman exercise MAN - PORTRAIT - CHRONICLE
- Evaluation of shot material, screening of the daily work.
- Evaluation, on-going analysis and consultations over the shot material of the documentary project.
- HDV, HDTV, DIGITAL CINEMA and documentary projects.
- Working with light, contrast in relation to the distinctive SD and HD digital systems.
- Film language and structure issues in documentary film in relation to the recording method use. The technical parameters limiting documentary practice.
- Digital television, documentary multi-media projects, technology aspects.
Shooting the Cameraman film MAN - PORTRAIT - CHRONICLE project
Camera dept. students are tasked to shoot a short silent image recording (122m of color 16mm negative material) - a portrait of a man - a „father“ - a notable Czech cameraman. Documentary dept. students arrange the supplementary sound recording - a conversation on a cassette. Together they edit their recordings in the editing room to an electronic form (Avid, FinalCut). The presentation of the project will be the year's work final committee for the Camera dept.
Recommended or required reading
Petr Prokop - Současné filmové kamery
Petr Prokop - Zakládání filmových kamer
Rudolf Adler - Cesta k filmovému dokumentu
Béla Balázs - Film. Vývoj a podstata nového umenia.
Slovenské vydavatelstvo krásnej literatury 1958
Film je umění - Sborník statí Orbis Praha 1963
Guido Aristarco - Dějiny filmových teorií Orbis Praha 1968
Robert Flaherty - Materiály k dějinám dokumentárního filmu
Anton Wilson´s - Cinema Workshop
Kodak - Student Filmmaker´s Handbook
Assessment methods and criteria
Credit is awarded for the screening of edited material of a completed work.
Course web page
No schedule has been prepared for this course