Directing Actors - Jerry Coyle´ workshop
Subject is not scheduled Display Schedule
|311MDAC||credit||3||7 hours (45 min) of instruction per semester, 45 to 55 hours of self-study||English||winter|
Name of lecturer(s)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The aim of the module is to give students of directing as much on-camera time as possible.
Mode of study
Intense hands-on workshop.
Please pay attention to the following:
- Strictly limited to 10 Directors
- If participants are late then an observer will take their place and become a participant.
- There will be breaks during the day. No exiting or entering the studio while we are working and especially while we are filming.
- An „Observer“ list will be ranked to insure that those who have shown interest early on will be placed at the top of the list with a greater chance of becoming participants when someone drops out or is eliminated from the workshop due to lateness.
- Participants must commit to all three days of the workshop.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Mr. Coyle´s workshop offers actors and directors a safe and inspiring environment to risk, develop and grow.
He teaches directors and actors a quick and efficient way to communicate with each other. Through simple and effective sensory exercises, right before the camera rolls, he allows the actors to find their authenticity, freedom and creative courage. He provides directors with new tools to communicate with the actors, helping the actors achieve successful scenes, which are organic and truthful. Being on the other side of the camera is useful for every director. As a result of his workshop, directors begin to see actors and the acting process in a different light.
Two cameras, three monitors and a switcher will allow the teacher to show action and reaction shots. Students (directors/actors) will run the cameras for each other. The action will be recorded onto two or three TV monitors using a switcher.
Recommended or required reading
Assessment methods and criteria
Numbers of FAMU students limited. DAMU acting students involved!
About Jerry Coyle:
Jerry Coyle has been teaching the advanced courses in acting for film and TV at the Weist-Barron School for Television & Film in New York City for over thirty years.
He has conducted and directed acting workshops and seminars at many universities throughout the U.S.A. including the Tisch School of the Arts at New York University; the University of California at Irvine; Kent State University, Ohio; Montana State University, Bozeman and the Actors Conservatory at the Dorset Theatre Festival in Dorset, Vermont
Schedule for winter semester 2022/2023:
|Date||Day||Time||Tutor||Location||Notes||No. of paralel|
|21.10.2022||10:00–17:00||Jitka HEJTMANOVÁ||Room No. 1
|22.10.2022||10:00–17:00||Jitka HEJTMANOVÁ||Room No. 1
|23.10.2022||10:00–17:00||Jitka HEJTMANOVÁ||Room No. 1
|28.10.2022||10:00–17:00||Jitka HEJTMANOVÁ||Room No. 1
|29.10.2022||10:00–17:00||Jitka HEJTMANOVÁ||Room No. 1
|30.10.2022||10:00–17:00||Jitka HEJTMANOVÁ||Room No. 1
Schedule for summer semester 2022/2023:
The schedule has not yet been prepared
The subject is a part of the following study plans
- Scriptwriting and Dramaturgy - Master-1920_1y (required optional subject)
- Film Directing_Bachelor-1920-1year (required optional subject)
- Film Directing_Bachelor-1920-2year (required optional subject)
- Film Directing_Bachelor_2021 (optional subject)
- Film Directing - Master-1920_1y (required optional subject)
- Film Directing - Master (optional subject)
- Documentary Film - Master - 1920_1y (required optional subject)
- Cinematography_3_2021 (optional subject)
- Montage_2020 (optional subject)
- Photography EN - Bachelor-1920 (optional subject)
- Photography EN - Bachelor - 2022 (optional subject)
- Photography EN - Master-1920 (optional subject)
- Photography EN - Master - 2022 (optional subject)
- Sound Design - Master-1920_1y (required optional subject)
- Animation - Master - 1920_1y (required optional subject)
- Cinema and Digital Media - Directing_1920 (optional subject)
- Cinema and Digital Media - Directing 2020 (optional subject)
- Audiovisual Studies - Master - 1920_1y (required optional subject)